Friday, March 13, 2015

Review: Trust No One


Trust No One
Trust No One by Jayne Ann Krentz

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



I have to say first off that Romantic Suspense is not my thing. My sister loves it, though and raves about Jayne Ann Krentz. How could I not read this?

A short synopsis: Grace Elland finds her boss dead at his home one morning, and the scene takes her back to a horrific event that occurred when she was 16 years old. In fact, she still suffers from nightmares, mild claustrophobia, and panic attacks. Classic PTSD.

Also classic is the plot line. It's a tried and true formula, and works well in this genre. Wounded girl is rescued by the strong man, but in this tale he is also wounded and only she can heal him. What's not to like?



The story moved along at a nice pace, and the dialogue flowed well. I thought I had solved the mystery about 1/3 in, but oh was I wrong. There are enough twists and turns to keep it interesting, but it's not implausible. (Maybe real life implausible, but I'm judging this novel on the Romantic Suspense Plausibility Scale).

I was surprised to find only two very short sex scenes. I thought Romantic Suspense was heavier on the sex than this. I've seen more sex in Historical Fiction. It was a nice surprise.

While reading reviews of this book, I saw some complaints that Krentz writes so many books that they're becoming formulaic and repetitive. To be honest, I can't imagine any other plot fitting the Romantic Suspense genre. It's all about damsel in distress saved by knight in shining armor and happily ever after. If this has become boring, it's time for a genre change.

When I rated this book, I tried to imagine how my sister would feel about it, and I also considered the quality of the writing. My 4 star rating reflects that. I don't feel the book should be penalized because I was curious and read outside my comfort zone.

Amazon.com
Amazon.uk

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment